Dave Saying Nothing Negative

Monday, January 24, 2011

The Minister Speaks

As you know if you've been following this blog, I am not alone in my attempt to say nothing negative about anyone for one year.  I am being assisted by three men who each approach this from very different perspectives.  An English Professor, a Certified Counselor, and a Minister.  Today we hear from the minister:

Dear followers of Dave’s blog,
My name is Mike Smith. I am one of the “professionals” on Dave’s support team. Dave recruited me to supply advice from a biblical/theological aspect in his endeavor. I am Dave’s pastor and an ordained elder in the United Methodist Church. Of the three support team members I have known Dave for the shortest time, just three years. My first remembrance of Dave is right after my first worship service at Ponca City FUMC. As Dave and his family were leaving the service they presented me with a gift, a box of macaroni and cheese. The gift wasn’t given to help fill my pantry but because my sermon title for that service was “Macaroni and Cheese”.  This was my first insight into Dave and his humorous, fun-loving nature. (I still keep the box in my office.)
However, there is a connection between Dave’s current quest to not-say-anything-negative-to-anyone-for-one-year and my sermon on that first Sunday worship service. My macaroni and cheese (aka, my ministry’s bread and butter) is to help people live out their faith seriously and faithfully. (Phil. 2:12-13) Dave’s attempt to control his tongue and willingness to hold himself accountable is virtuous and inspiring and, therefore, more than just a sterile scientific experiment. Thus my interest is pastoral for Dave and also for all who follow Dave’s blog. I’m very interested to see how Dave’s commitment plays out in the public square and how much conversation and inspiration it stimulates. It is one small alternative to the cynical, negative voices that so often consume us.
-Mike Smith
Thanks Mike for your support and encouragement in this quest.  I'm just thankful your first sermon wasn't called "12 Pounds of Rib Eyes" I don't think I could have afforded it.

No comments:

Post a Comment