Dave Saying Nothing Negative

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Love is All You Need

VERY interesting day.  Louise Harrison, the sister of late Beatle, George Harrison was a guest on my radio show this morning to promote an upcoming appearance of "Liverpool Legends", the Beatles tribute act she hand picked as a tribute to her brother.  Playing Beatles music on the radio and talking to someone who was there in the inner circle with the Beatles when it all happened was an amazing experience.  What made it great was the fact that Louise is a very nice and genuine person.  She spoke often of growing up in Liverpool with parents who taught her, George and their siblings to be honest and treat people with respect.  I felt as if I got a glimpse into the soul of George from meeting his sister and seeing how she treated everyone she met with respect and kindness.  Although some news sources have recently reported that she is 80, Louise is quick to point out that she is 79 and a half!  She recently had hip surgery, and it was quite cold here today, so I know it was not an easy thing for her to go everywhere we took her to meet Beatles fans, but she did it all with a smile and a true enjoyment that showed.  Everyone she met got a "Harrison hug".  She explained that one of the last times she saw her brother, he gave her a hug and told her to keep it going.  She has.  The joy she brought to the people who met her today was really something to see.  Toward the end of our scheduled time together as we sat talking, I told her a little history of Ponca City.  When I mentioned Standing Bear, a Native American who was the first to be recognized by the courts of the United States as a human being, her eyes lit up with interest.  When I told her there was a statue of him, she said "I must have my picture taken with that statue.  I want the Native American people to know that I stand with them and recognize all that they have been put through."  Wow!  I thought to myself, this is such a "Beatles" thing to do.  So like the message of love they tried to share.  This was a "Harrison hug" to a whole race of people who have suffered opression.  Imagine if you will Louise, 79 and a half years old, hip no doubt hurting after a day of meeting and greeting, insisting that we take her to the Standing Bear statue on a very windy and cold afternoon so that she could send a message of love.  In that moment I truly saw her as George's sister.  I understood how the love for others that was showed to her as a child by her parents had helped shape her entire life.  I also knew that those same lessons had helped form the life of her famous brother and his quest to seek peace and spread love through his music to a world so in need of that message.  Today I have nothing negative to say about anyone.

1 comment:

  1. It was a special day, indeed. She's an amazingly wonderful person. I'll never forget meeting her! Great post, my friend!

    ReplyDelete